Monday, April 12, 2010

Here's to the Kid in all of us!


A watercolor painting of Ken Griffey, Jr., aka "The Kid"

I still remember the first time I saw him play in 1987 in Boise, ID his first season as a professional with the Bellingham Mariners short season single A team.  Bellingham was playing the Boise Hawks
at the old Borah High School baseball field.He was only seventeen but you could see the talent even then. 

I was lucky enough to meet him a few years later in the spring of 1994 and get a ball signed in the Mariners clubhouse at the Kingdome.  One of my good friends who worked at that time for the Bellingham Mariners and he got us into the clubhouse, dugout and onto the field before the game.  
(Thanks Al!  Great memories!)

It only took Griffey a year to arrive in the big leagues and the rest is history.  Is he one of the best to play the game?  I would definitely argue that, even with some of the injuries his numbers and consistency are incredible, as well as a flair for the dramatic.  It is wonderful to have him back in Seattle where it all began.

Got to watch him play (and hit a homer) last August during a trip to 
a game for my birthday.  I treasure those memories!

I love this game!


No comments: