Saturday, November 19, 2011

The blessing and curse of being a Boise State fan!

As I await the BSU - SDSU game, I reflect back to last weeks heartbreaking loss to TCU 36-35 and the lost hope of an undefeated season and a BCS Bowl game.  Living in Washington state this was the one game I targeted and drove back with my family to Idaho to watch in person.  Oh well, sports will take you to the mountain top and then push you off when you turn your back.

I have been a BSU fan since the early 1970's, my dad and my sister and myself both graduated from BSU, so you could say it has been a family affair for over 40 years.  I have watched BSU win a Division 1-AA title and then move onto Division 1-A success with struggles in between.  But the last few years have been nothing short of amazing!

With the wins, the notoriety and even the critics the ride has been a whirlwind.  With the highest win percentage at 0.873 (124-18) since 2000; 2 Fiesta Bowl wins including the 2007 thriller versus Oklahoma; Sports Illustrated covers and the famous blue turf, BSU has amassed a national following and even a measure of respect.  With that, the expectations have risen almost to unrealistic proportions.


Nothing short of an undefeated season, a conference championship and a BCS bowl game is accepted.  This is absurd, most college football programs have never experienced success at the level BSU has sustained over the last several years much less for even back to back seasons.  Expectations are often not realistic but they translate to goals that we work to achieve.

I will always root for the Broncos and will always expect more than I have a right too.  But that is what being a fan is all about, right?  Win or lose my heart will always be blue, I am proud to be a Bronco alum!

Go Big Blue!!!   Boise State Broncos!

(Colored pencil drawings with paint shop pro border and text     Maleko ©2011)

No comments: